The Pennsylvania Nursing Congress, the state’s largest profession coalition of specialty nursing organizations, invites you to join us for the fall 2018 Nursing Congress meeting. Join us in Harrisburg on November 2, 2018 from 10 am – 2 pm.
Registration: $65 / person (includes lunch)
Registration closes October 23.
About this Event
- The Pennsylvania State Nurses Association is accredited as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
- 3.0 contact hours can be earned by attending 100% of the activity and completing an evaluation.
- No conflict of interest exists for any individual in a position to control the content of the educational activity.
What You’ll Learn
- Lead with Influence: Learn proven strategies to drive rapid and sustainable behavior change for your teams
- Motivate Others: Enable others to take initiative, think strategically, and improve performance
- Transform Corporate Culture: Grasp essential behavior improvements that create a cascading effect on corporate culture
- Experience Change: Achieve successful team and organizational initiatives, reduce errors, and engage employees
Kevin Surdi, RN / VitalSmarts
Master Certified, Crucial Conversations
Certified, Crucial Accountability, The Power of Habit, Virtual Classroom
With over 15 years of experience in emergency medicine — from EMS and nursing to senior administration — Kevin has personally led many organizational and culture change initiatives. He’s also worked with a variety of frontline healthcare professionals, middle management, executive teams, and leadership development programs. As a result, Kevin provides valuable insights regarding relationship dynamics within organizations. In addition, his emergency medicine experience has trained him to be comfortable in fast-paced, rapidly changing environments and high-stakes situations — and to empathize with those working in similar conditions.
A registered nurse, Kevin has a passion for helping others, which you can feel in his training. When he facilitates, Kevin ensures that everyone has grasped the material and can walk away with a new perspective on complex situations.
The VitalSmarts training solutions address the most common behavioral workplace challenges. Each training focuses on a practical skillset that empowers employees and hospital systems to achieve lasting change and measurable results.
VitalSmarts Knows Healthcare
For the past 20 years, VitalSmarts has researched the effects of silence in healthcare and uncovered some startling trends:
- Cultures of poor communication among health professionals result in medical errors and staff turnover. Their research shows while 84% of doctors and nurses have seen coworkers take dangerous shortcuts, fewer than 10% voice their concerns.
- While safety tools are one part of the solution to improving patient care, they do not compensate for crucial conversations failures in the hospital.
- On the other hand, organizations that build cultures of dialogue among their administrators, physicians, nurses and staff experience significant reductions in medical errors, increased patient safety, higher productivity, and lower staff turnover.
The Biggest Problem in Healthcare is Silence
Unfortunately, drama in healthcare isn’t reserved for TV.
VitalSmart’s latest research shows that while interpersonal drama within caregiver teams is frustrating — it’s not the real problem.
The real problem in healthcare is silence.
Specifically, how well or how poorly employees can speak up and address behavior challenges predicts patient safety, quality of care, quality of patient and family experience, and staff engagement.
PSNA Member $75
* unlicensed nurse graduate or student